Monday, November 19, 2012

Lydia's First Sign

Lydia has always been very... expressive. She usually doesn't leave you wondering what she wants. If she is unhappy she will scream, if she wants to nurse she climbs onto my lap and starts to suck on my collar bones, and if she wants another bite she rolls her ankles and wrists. So for a long time we didn't try very hard to teach her sign language. As her preferences have become more defined David and I have been able to keep up with the way she expresses herself. But last week my sister-in-law made a good point when she said that she wants her son to be able to communicate with other people, not just her.

I decided I wanted that for Lydia too, and so for the past few days we have tried more consistently to get her to say more, and today she did! Of course it was for blueberries - and it isn't the perfect sign. However, if you know Lydia you know it is a really big deal that she touched her hands together at all (she is very particular about her hands... we still haven't gotten her to clap!). Anyway, as you can see in the video David and I are so ridiculously proud that we are giddy.

Just thought I would share! I think we will work on "thank you" next.


No comments:

Post a Comment