Thursday, September 27, 2012

Post-Partum Update: 9 months

Almost 5 weeks ago today I wrote this post about my body 8 months postpartum. I was frustrated that I had gained some weight back, and was determined to make changes.

I am happy to say that I did in fact change things and my body has really responded! Like I said in the previous post, I decided to cut out junk food and red meat and incorporate yogurt and more fruits and veggies into my diet. I usually do not weight myself often at all, but I decided that since I was really trying to lose some weight this time, I should have some way to measure my progress. So a few days before the 8 month post I was 6 pounds over my pre-pregnancy weight, and after 2 weeks I had gotten rid of all of it. It happened so quickly and it really surprised me! For the past 3 weeks I have kept all of it off, bringing me back down to where I was before getting pregnant, and happily sustaining there instead of jumping up and down all the time.

More importantly, I feel a lot better. I am getting back into a groove of eating to fuel me throughout the day, and am adjusting yet again to the amount of food that I need to support me and to continue to breastfeed Lydia. In general I try to be good during the week about working out (4 times a week is my minimum goal), and I have a pretty strict no junk food rule. On the weekends I allow myself a little wiggle room and like to take advantage of it by getting ice cream with my family or eating a hamburger. I hope that I can keep this good balance up, and that I just continue to feel better and better.

Since I can now say that I have comfortably lost the baby weight, I want to move onto other updates. First of all, apparently at some point I lost a lot of hair, because lately it has started to grow back in little sprouts all across my hair line. I look very silly sometimes, especially in this humid weather, and a part of my daily hair routine now includes pulling out the hairspray and getting the fly aways under control!

Also, I thought I should tell you that I have mom biceps by now. They aren't beautifully tones or visibly bigger, but I can lift my baby no problem and carry her on my hip like it's my job. I remember when Lydia was a newborn thinking I would never be able to hold her when she got bigger because my arms and back would get soooo tired. But now, it really is barely noticeable to hold Lydia for long periods of time. I really enjoy feeling like I am stronger now, and I have to say that a cute baby girl is the best free weight a woman could ask for :)

The last thing may be a little bit TMI... but you are reading a post-partum update so you probably should have been ready for it. This is the first month where my tail bone doesn't hurt after sitting down on a hard surface. I suspect that I bruised or damaged it during delivery because for so many months I would have trouble standing up after sitting due to the pain. Last month I was still noticing it every so often, but in the past couple weeks I think that it has finally gone away. It is so nice to be able to sit at Starbucks and have coffee with a friend without dreading the moment when I have to stand up!

I think that is all... and I am a little sad to say that this will be my last post-partum update. I have now not been pregnant for as long as I was pregnant, which is surreal! These 9 months sure went by a lot faster than the 9 when I was throwing up all the time and carrying around a ginormous belly. But I really wouldn't trade any of it; the changes and stress that my body has gone through have been completely worth it. And I think it is awesome that at this point I feel normal again. Aside from a few light stretch marks and some jiggly parts here and there my body is back to where it was before ever getting pregnant. It is truly amazing what it went through, and I am so proud of what I did in supporting and birthing Lydia Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment