Saturday, July 28, 2012

July Abs Challenge: Inner and Outer Obliques

Sorry for all of the time in between these posts! On Monday or Tuesday I will get the last one up since by then July will be over. Where has the summer gone?

Even though I haven't been consistent with posting about the abs challenge I have been consistent in implementing it. I haven't missed a day of 10 minutes of abs (other than July 4th) and I am pretty proud of myself. I can't say I am seeing many results yet... but it has to be doing some good.

Onto our abdominal lesson: Surrounding the main part of your abs are your obliques. Your inner obliques are the muscles on either side of your belly button and your outer obliques are toward the side of your stomach, right around the "love handle" area and your waistline.

Inner Obliques 
  1. Modified Crunch 
Instructions: Modify the standard crunch by lifting up and then twist over to one side, then repeat on the opposite side. Think about taking your shoulder up and over the opposite hip. 
Common Mistakes: Make sure that you lift your body up before twisting slightly to the side. Don't pull on your neck as you turn and don't let your elbow draw inward toward your head. 
Modifications: To make the exercise a little bit more difficult you can raise your opposite foot up onto your knee, making the shape of a "4". So, if you are working your right obliques, put your left foot on your right knee and then lift your right shoulder up and over toward it.
  1. Bicycle
Instructions: Lift your legs about 45 degrees into the air and pull one knee in toward your body side to side bringing your opposite shoulder toward it. Repeat to the other side.
Common Mistakes: Again, think about bringing the shoulder to the knee, not he elbow and don't pull on your neck.

Outer Obliques
  1. Dumbbell Side Bends
Instructions: Stand with your legs slightly apart and hold a dumbbell in your right hand. Bend over to your right side and then slowly return to a straight standing position. Repeat on your left.
Common Mistakes: Don't collapse your rib cage and slouch forward. You want to think about continuing to stand tall as you bend over to the side.
Modifications: To make this more challenging you can place your left hand behind your head as you bend over to the right.
  1. Heel Touches (I made up this name because I am not sure what they are called...)
Instructions: Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet on the floor. Lift your shoulder blades up off the ground and tuck your chin into your chest. With you arms by your side bend side to side trying to touch the back of your heels with your hands.
Common Mistakes: Relax your neck. Once you get the hang of the motion you can return your hands to the back of your head to support your neck.

That is all for tonight! I love working my obliques and it is important that you don't forget them as you establish an abdominal exercise routine. As always, let me know if you have any questions or any good references/ideas of your own.


1 comment:

  1. Excited to reference the Abs Challenge when I have abs again! I love those heel touches, I always feel like I look like a penguin when I do those and I have no clue why :)

    ReplyDelete