Friday, March 30, 2012

Success!

Guess what friends? Lydia just put herself to sleep for her nap!! The day that I thought would never come came! I know this is the first time it has ever happened, but it gives me hope.

She is starting to drop some of her naps throughout the day. In particular she rarely sleeps in between her 12ish and 1:30ish feeding anymore. So today when she got fussy around 1:30 I nursed her quickly and then stuck a pacifier in her mouth on a whim. And she took it! She hasn't taken a pacifier in 3 weeks. It is a different kind, so maybe that made a difference.

I swayed while holding her for about 5 minutes until her eyelids were really heavy. Then I transferred her to her pack and play with her sleep sheep. She was asleep in less than 2 minutes with no crying at all. Hooray!!

As Lydia starts to take less naps throughout the day I would like to put a little bit more energy into having her fall asleep without mommy-the-pacifier or the swing, and having her sleep in her pack and play. Then hopefully at some point we can make this a routine at night as well.

I just remember when she was about 6 weeks old expecting her to put herself to sleep (like so many books told me she should do), and being so disappointed when this never, ever happened. So much has changed, and has gotten much easier! Maybe she will become an independent sleeper without much crying after all... at least one can dream :)

No comments:

Post a Comment