Monday, February 28, 2011

Some recipes


Right now my stomach is growling as dinner cooks away in the oven. So I want to write about food… one of my favorite things in this life!


Above are the s’more bars that I am going to make tonight. They look pretty rich, but my hubby found the link himself and requested them especially, so I am going to make them for him, and I bet I will like them as well. I usually bake a sweet thing once a week that we munch on for a few days. It is much cheaper to bake something then to buy desserts at the store (generally). In the summer we keep our eyes out for good deals on ice cream though.


The link to the recipe for these bars is: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bettycrockerrecipes/3307399156/sizes/m/in/photostream/


Now to the real food. What I have cooking in the oven now is a recent addition to our weekly or bi-weekly staples. I buy frozen Tilapia (usually from Meijer) and it is usually around $4. A bag comes with 5-6 tilapia filets which will feed us 2 or 3 times, so it is quite a deal! The fish doesn’t take long at all to thaw. I spray a small pan with some cooking spray, then add the thawed fish (I usually just cook 2 filets at a time). I melt a tablespoon of butter and pour it over top, along with a half of a freshly squeezed lemon. I add a clove of garlic, some black pepper, and dried parsley then I pop it into the oven at 375 for 25-30 minutes. It is so easy, so healthy and so yummy.


Along with fish I usually cook a starch and a vegetable. Tonight I cut up one potato into thin slices (so you have round potato pieces). I sprayed a cookie sheet and laid the potatoes on top, and drizzled some olive oil on top of them, sprinkled them with some fresh garlic, pepper and dried rosemary then put them in the oven along with the fish.


My favorite vegetable to make right now is snow peas. I just pick up a handful of them from the produce section and they are usually cheap. I wash them, cut the ends off and saute them in a small skillet with olive oil, garlic, red pepper and some ginger. You are probably catching on to some of my favorite things to cook with :)


Tonight I am heating up some leftover corn and green beans that we already have. The snow peas will be saved for later this week. I can smell the tilapia now… I am ready for dinner.


Here are two of my favorite recipes of all time! The chili we make about twice a month in the winter, and then once a month in the summer. The asparagus pasta is more of a special occasion meal because asparagus can be pricey. You should try them! They are delicious and pretty healthy. Enjoy.



Texas Lightning Chicken Chili:


2 tsp. olive oil


I cup chopped onion


2 Large garlic cloves, crushed


1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken, cut into pieces


3 tsp. cumin, 2 tsp oregano


1 can great northern beans


1 1/4 cup chicken broth


15-20 slices of jarred jalapenos (chopped)


hot pepper sauce (20 drops)


Black pepper


4 oz. Mexican cheese


Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute 3 minutes. Add chicken to skillet along with cumin and oregano and saute until the chicken is no longer pink. Stir in beans, chicken broth and jalapenos. Cook gently for 5 minutes until sauce begins to thicken. Add hot sauce and a little black pepper. Stir in cheese until melted. Serve with a little mexican cheese on top and tortilla chips to dip in it.



Asparagus pasta


5 minced garlic cloves


1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes


2-3 dashes hot pepper sauce (add more if you like spicy!)


1/4 cup olive oil


1 Tbs. butter


1 lb. fresh asparagus, cut into pieces


1/4  tsp. pepper. Salt to taste.


1/4 cup shredded parm. cheese


1 box of penne pasta


Cook pasta as directed.


In a skillet cook garlic, red pepper flakes and hot pepper sauce in oil and butter for 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus, salt and pepper. Saute until asparagus is crisp (8-10 min). Add parmesan cheese. Mix well. Drain pasta and put it in a large bowl. Pour asparagus mixture over top and toss.


I cook this with pan-fried chicken. Thaw and trim enough chicken to feed 4. In a skillet melt 2 Tbs. butter. On a plate sprinkle some italian bread crumbs and grated parmesan cheese. Bread the chicken with this mixture. Put the breaded chicken into the skillet when butter is melted. Cook until it is lightly brown on both sides. Sprinkle with some lemon juice and let it simmer on low heat for 5 minutes before serving.



Yum! Now I am ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment