Monday, February 21, 2011

Weekend with my siblings


This weekend was crazy busy and I didn’t get as much work done as I needed to … at all. But, it was wonderful because my little brother, Josh, came down for the weekend!


On Friday night David and I met my parents in Dry Ridge for dinner and after some delicious LaRosa’s pizza, we headed back to Lexington with Josh in tow. He is 8 years old and it at a really fun age. On our way down to Lexington I was asking him about school (I know, I am the boring sister). We got on the topic of his report that he is doing on Rosa Parks and I asked him how they teach them to do research now. He informed me that they no longer use Encyclopedias, but instead just use the internet. That somehow led into talking about how people used to have portraits of themselves painted rather than having their pictures taken (when cameras didn’t exist). Josh then told us how amazed he was that people like George Washington could stand still for hours while someone painted him and not blink! It was great.


We didn’t do much Friday night… just went to WalMart for some groceries then watched the new Karate Kid on Netflix, which was surprisingly not bad! He woke up early Saturday morning and we had doughnuts from Magees, then went to the dog park for 2 hours, then had lunch and then went to Memorial Coliseum to support my sister as she participated in Dance Blue. I don’t know if you have heard of it, but it is an event put on by the University every year. Tons of students (about 700) participate in it; they raise money which goes to the pediatric oncology unit in the UK clinic, and then they stand for 24 hours straight! That is right… not only do they stay awake but they can’t sit! I was so amazed by all of them. The participants are taught a line dance that they do at the top of every hour, and it is so cool to watch all 700 of them do it!


After stopping by to encourage Jen we headed out the Humane Society to show Josh the cute kittens and puppies. We hung out there for most of the afternoon, just playing with one cute pup after another and it was really fun. When we got back home I took a nap before dinner and then after dinner we headed back over to Dance Blue where my parents met us to watch Jen and the other participants to the final line dance. After that, we went to Orange Leaf for some delicious frozen yogurt.


All in all, it was a great weekend! It was very, very tiring to have an 8 year old around for a whole Saturday (really, I have no idea how my parents do it). But, it was such a blessing to be able to spend time with family.


However, quality family time means no homework gets done… which is a bad thing. I guess I am procrastinating as a type, and I have a ton to do! I have my first midterm of the semester at the end of this week, and in between now and then I have 3 homework assignments to finish. Yuck. Sometimes I really love school, and then there are frustrating, long, and tiring days like these when I just don’t want to think about numerical methods or Lebesgue measure or stirling numbers anymore…


Wish me luck! I will try to keep you posted as much as a can.

No comments:

Post a Comment