Tuesday, February 22, 2011

procrastination.

Hola friends!


I am currently procrastinating studying for my numerical analysis midterms on Friday.. and about a billion other things.


Let me tell you something crazy about procrastination. I never struggled with it through undergrad. I was one of those (rare) college students who started on a paper at least 10 days before it was due. Not once did I pull an all nighter in my college years… and unless I was having a great time with friends I pretty much always got 8 hours of sleep. Crazy, right! I was so insane about school in undergrad… and I guess it was never too challenging, so I always got things done well before they were due.


Then, I was brilliant and took a year off before going to grad school. Actually, I am so grateful for that year and how much it shaped me into the person that I am now. However, it definitely had a negative effect on my perfect student behavior. After taking a year off you kind of realize that school isn’t the end all be all… that there are just some things, lots of things actually, that are more important. Don’t get me wrong, if you are a student you should work hard and give it your all, but I just realized during my time off that stressing and worrying about it didn’t do any good. Which was an awesome and huge thing for me.


Alas… those good life lessons have led me to this night when I need to study for a class that makes me feel stupid every day. And I just don’t want to! I will, obviously, and I plan on making sure that I do well on the exam. But those lovely days of undergrad are over, and now I am being pushed to my limits. Every day I am mentally exhausted, and it is really like nothing else I have experienced before. I find myself thinking about math.. a lot. About really hard math (at least for me). And while this is cool sometimes, other times I just want to give my brain a break!


So here is to procrastination, or at least a healthy break every now and then :) Below is what I did tonight instead of proving the quadratic convergence of Newton’s Method:


Made dog treats for my pup.




Made cupcakes to bring into class tomorrow (it was one of my prof’s birthday Monday, so I figure it will be a nice surprise). Also, if you don’t have one of these tiny ice cream scoop things to bake with you need one… really you do. They are so nifty when it comes to putting batter onto a cookie sheet or into cup cake cups.



Oh yes, then I documented all of these things, imported the photos, then ironically wrote about procrastinating.


But really, these are the only math things I have done all day other than eat and listen to NPR in the car… back to floating point numbers, functional iterations and memorizing psuedo code.


Have a great night!

No comments:

Post a Comment