Monday, January 21, 2013

13 months

I am currently making a photo book of 2012 and therefore looking back at lots of old pictures of our girl and our family. It is so much fun to remember all of the phases that we went through in 2012 and it makes me look forward to this year as well!

Looking back also makes me want to remember what is happening with Lydia right now. These days I have been taking pictures with my new iPhone instead of my camera, and because my computer is getting realllly old and slow (it is officially a "vintage" Mac now; we hope to get a new one with our tax refund!) it is more difficult to write updates and post new pictures. But I figured I could quickly jot down a few new things that Lydia has been doing lately.

 She is still moving like crazy - her walk is sometimes accelerating to a little run, and she loves to climb anything she can. She also loves to dance!!

Her 5th tooth has shot through and another one may be on its way. Her hair is finally starting to get a little longer in the back and it is a dark blonde/auburn color. Her proportions look more toddler-like everyday, and although she hasn't grown out of 12 month clothes yet, she is still getting bigger.

This month Lydia's communication skills have developed like crazy. She now signs "more, please" and "thank you" without us asking her. She is trying to imitate words and sounds constantly - today she "moo"-ed with one of her books when a cow came up, and she has added the word "light" to her vocabulary. It is insane how much she understands. I can ask her to share a toy with a cousin, bring something to an aunt, put away a toy or throw something in the garbage and she understands it all (and listens!). She is very, very rarely grumpy and usually only cries if she is sleepy, or if she hurts herself.

Another huge development for Lydia has been her ability to play on her own. She enjoys sitting by herself and flipping through books, sorting shapes, or playing with her toy kitchen. At home she can entertain herself for up to an hour and it is so neat to see her develop intentionality, interest and an imagination.

Since I have gone back to work she has adjusted perfectly with babysitters. She loves spending time with her Nana, Gigi, and her Aunt Katie and she eats well for everyone and takes an hour nap no problem. She and I spend our afternoons together playing, taking walks, and resting (she takes another hour and half nap each afternoon). I think that Lydia misses her daddy during the day, but each evening they get to play and do bathtime together and I think she looks forward to it.

I am loving this phase of Lydia. She is so much easier than she was as an infant because I understand her needs and wants - and she is able to communicate better with me. Although certain aspects are more exhausting, in general she is just more content now that she is capable of more. It is incredible to me to watch her learn, and I am excited that we are entering a stage when I can morph a little more into teacher rather than solely caregiver.

In short, our baby girl is awesome - and so, so big! Our lives are pretty busy, but we are doing well. And honestly, anytime I get overwhelmed I think back to this time last year - when we were both finishing grad school with a newborn - and I quickly realize how good we have it now.


No comments:

Post a Comment