Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Tantrum

Today Lydia had her first tantrum. It really wasn't that bad, and we were at home. But still... I thought I had at least 6 more months until we had to figure out discipline!

It has been obvious lately that Lydia has her own opinion, and she isn't afraid to express it. She doesn't like to be told no and a lot of the time she will make a face or raise her voice for a second. But today she took her protests to a whole new level.

Lydia stuck her hand in my cup of coffee (we were somewhat already battling over this...), so I calmly said ,"No ma'am" and decided to move it to the counter. As soon as I stood up and started walking away the yelling began. Lydia was standing there, clenching her fists, yelling at the top of her lungs and shaking while her face quickly turned red. I had no idea what to do... So I proceeded to ignore her. After a few minutes the yelling turned into sobbing and big tears began rolling down her cheeks. I moved a little closer, looked at her and asked her to calm down. The crying continued for ten minutes! Then I picked her up and distracted her with something.

I am not sure where to go from here. Lydia is generally very well behaved, but today I got a wake up call that it is time for David and I to devise a plan on how we will handle these types of things in the future. As always, there are tons of opinions and strategies, and as usual being consistent and united is the most important thing. She just seems so young!! I guess my little Lydia is growing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment