Monday, October 1, 2012

Cloth Diapering Take Two: A Change of Heart

Almost 8 months ago I professed to you my love of gDiapers. I started using cloth diapers with Lydia when she was 5 weeks old, and we have been continuing to use them ever since. When Lydia was so tiny, exclusively breastfed and immobile gDiapers were the most convenient for us by far, but now I must admit that while still being in love with cloth, I have had a change of heart about the brand that is my top pick.

First of all, I should tell you that right around when Lydia started solid food I wanted to give up on cloth diapers all together. Once a baby starts eating real food... their poo gets a lot grosser. With a disposable diaper, you can quickly clean everything up with one quick swipe and dirty diapers really aren't an ordeal. However, with cloth, once your little one starts eating solids, things become a little bit more difficult.

Because solid waste can't go in the washer, you have to find some way to dispose of the yucky stuff, or a way to rinse your diaper well. We tried to hook up a diaper sprayer that we have, but unfortunately our toilet is kind of strange. Instead we bought these diaper liners and after that switch I decided I could stick with it. These liners catch the poo and then you can just throw it in the garbage along with the wipe, and they are a good price which is nice! Another plus is that they protect your cloth inserts from diaper cream, and since solid poo also makes diaper rashes more common you will need something to keep diaper cream off the cloth.

Once we started using these liners, the gDiaper system got a little redundant. Snap in waterproof liner, tuck in cloth, tuck in disposable liner - there was lots of tucking and folding going on. It wasn't horrible, but each diaper change just took more time at a stage when Lydia no longer wanted to hold still. Also, once Lydia's started solid food and things got gross, I wanted to wash the diapers more often so that they wouldn't stain and I wouldn't be knocked to the floor when I opened the wet bag. Laundry day with gDiapers is kind of inconvenient, again due to all of the different parts of the diaper. One of my best friends swore by her Grovia AIO (all-in-one) diapers, so I found a swap group on facebook and bought some lightly used ones at a great price and now I am in love with them!

Grovias are great for us now because with them being an AIO, diaper changes are more similar to that of a disposable. Take the diaper off (remove liner and throw it in garbage), put dirty diaper in wet bag, put clean diaper on. No more snapping and unsnapping, folding or tucking. Also, laundry day happens every other day because with Grovia diapers the process is wash, and then tumble dry low... that is it! Lately as Lydia has been moving like crazy I have noticed that she often gets leaks with gDiapers because the cloth inserts slip inside of the liner, but again with the AIO there is no slipping of the cloth since everything is connected. Grovia diapers have worked better for us than BumGenius or Bumpkins because they still have a slim fit and make Lydia's bum look super cute under clothes!

gDiapers were wonderful for us when Lydia was young because:
  • they come in different sizes and are the only diaper that would fit her well when she was so little
  •  with newborns, diapers have to be changed all the time, and since you can reuse gDiaper shells it took up less space to lug around 4 diapers in the diaper bag than it would to carry around 4 Grovias.
  •  when her poo wasn't so gross it was nice to go 4 days without needing to do laundry and building up a big stash of gDiapers is cheaper than buying 24 AIO diapers.

But now Grovia is my top pick because:
  • the AIO style makes for quick diaper changes
  • laundry day needs to happen more often and it is super easy
  • Lydia is a bit bigger, so the diapers look great on her
  • there is no "slippage" as she moves around like a maniac, which means no leaks!

As always, these are just my opinions and I hope that the all the thinking I have done about cloth diapers will make for less work for you if you want to use them! It really is easy and has saved us a ton of money in the long run, and now I can't imagine throwing away up to 7 diapers every single day. Comment if you have any questions, or if you have any cloth diapering tips... I could always use them :)


No comments:

Post a Comment