Wednesday, August 1, 2012

July Abs Challenge: Lower Abs and Back

Darn, it's August 1st. As I explained in the previous post I have been kind of busy enjoying my non-studying husband and packing for the trip(s) that we leave for tomorrow morning! But since we are leaving tomorrow morning I figured I should get this up - I plan on trying to write while in Detroit for a wedding and then in Florida with my family, but I guess I'm not making any promises.

So, here it is. The last abs post all about the lower region of you abs. Here are a couple exercises to help strengthen them:

  1. Leg lifts
Instructions: Lay on your back and place your hands underneath your tailbone. Start with both legs lifted up at a 90 degree angle to your body. Inhale as you slowly lower your legs toward the ground, then exhale as you raise them back up.
Modifications: You can do these at all different speeds. I usually start by doing them slowly, and then do them double time, and then end with quickly alternating individual leg lifts on the left and right side.
Common Mistakes: Don't let your lower back rise up off the ground as you lower your legs. Also, try to keep your legs straight and your toes pointed - the idea is that you want your legs to be as "heavy" as possible.
  1. Reverse Crunches
Instructions: Lay on your back and bring your legs up at a 90 degree angle to your body. Bend your knees and flex your feet so that they are parallel with the ceiling. Exhale as you curl in your lower abs and try to make a "footprint" on the ceiling with your feet.
Modifications: Add in a standard crunch for more of a challenge. Then you will focus on squeezing the upper and lower parts of your abs together.
Common Mistakes: Don't swing your legs forward and then up - you want to minimize the amount of momentum and instead focus on control.

That is all for the abdominal exercises. There are obviously a ton more, and I am sure you can find a lot online and on YouTube. Just be sure to be careful as you try new things and always focus on having good, safe form.

Before I end this series I have to mention that as you work your abs you should also strengthen your back. These are opposing muscle groups, and a general fitness rule is that when you exercise one muscle group you should also work its opposing group. To work your back planks are an great option. You can also lie on your stomach and slightly lift your chest off the ground (with your arms extended out to the side) or gently lift your legs off the ground. At first, do not put these two movements together, but as you get stronger you can try them at the same time.

I hope that this was relevant and helpful to some of you. As I said, I am no fitness expert but it is something that I am interested in and I feel I have a little bit of wisdom to offer. Let me know what you think of the series... I like to hear your opinions out there!

Have a great night and wish us safe travels (and a happy baby in the car... please Lord!).

No comments:

Post a Comment