Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sick day.

Lydia Grace has caught her first cold :(

She has had consistent allergies most of her life, so when she was stuffy on Monday David and I didn't really think very much of it. She was also more fussy than usual, but that has been normal behavior lately because I am pretty sure she is starting to cut teeth. She slept for 14 hours (only waking up 3 times to eat) on Monday night, and yesterday she was in a pretty good mood until bedtime. At that point some serious fighting began. She was so stuffed up, and was coughing so she was refusing to nurse. She cried for 2 hours... and it was so hard. I felt so powerless and just cried with her for a while. David did everything that he could do while also preparing for his final.

Last night was pretty much sleepless. Lydia would fall asleep for 30-45 minute intervals, but would then wake up fussy and stuffed up. Around midnight we gave her some Tylenol thinking that maybe her ears were hurting. That helped her to sleep for maybe an hour and a half straight. Around 5 a.m. we all got up and I took her temperature. Sure enough, it was 100.2. A low grade temp., but still a fever. We tried Tylenol again and it only made her gag and then spit up the little bit of milk that she had eaten around 4.

At 7 I called the doctor and she assured me that it is probably just a cold. As long as Lydia eats well at her next meal we can just stay at home and rest together until she is feeling better. She recommended another form of Tylenol which would be easier to give to Lydia and said we could use it if we wanted, but we didn't have to since her fever wasn't too high. Lydia has been sleeping since 6:45 at this point, and she is still rocking peacefully in her swing. I hope that once she wakes up she will eat well and then all of my worries will be gone.

The timing of this cold is... less than ideal. David is currently taking a final and he has 1 more tomorrow. I have a take home exam that is due at the beginning of next week (!!) and I have 1 final to prepare for also. But today I know my priority is to take care of my baby, and my professors are, as usual, being so understanding. These past 16 hours have really made me thankful for the healthy baby that we have! I know that we will get through these last 2 weeks and that everything will work out, but if you could keep us and Lydia in your prayers it would be much appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment