Thursday, July 28, 2011

Week 20. Halfway there


How far along? 20 weeks


Updates on baby:  (Thanks to BabyCenter) Your baby weighs about 10 1/2 ounces now. He’s also around 6 1/2 inches long from head to bottom and about 10 inches from head to heel — the length of a banana. (For the first 20 weeks, when a baby’s legs are curled up against his torso and hard to measure, measurements are taken from the top of his head to his bottom — the “crown to rump” measurement. After 20 weeks, he’s measured from head to toe.)


He’s swallowing more these days, which is good practice for his digestive system. He’s also producing meconium, a black, sticky by-product of digestion.


Maternity Clothes? Why didn’t I buy new clothes sooner?!? I have felt so much better this past week wearing the few new items that I got over the weekend. Above is a dress that my sister gave me as a gift and I LOVE it! Like most of the new clothes, it isn’t technically maternity but just fits in a looser and more flattering way to my body.


Sleep?  My bed is my most favorite place. Ever. Even when I am not sleeping I just love to lay in bed. Right now I am laying down in it right under the AC with my pup at my feet before I start dinner. It just feels amazing to lay down after a long day!


Eating:  I am hungry and thirsty all the time. It is to an annoying point again where I have to eat every 2-3 hours. But I am definitely not complaining about wanting food. It has been interesting though to note the difference between being physically hungry and having an appetite, if that makes any sense. I feel physically hungry very often; my stomach growls and my blood sugar gets lower. However I rarely feel like I have much of an appetite… when my body wants food it is hard to find anything that sounds really good to eat. So most of the time I just try to eat something healthy and hope that it sits well.



Exercise: Sitting has become uncomfortable so I find myself walking a lot more throughout the day to help my back relax a little. I have been better this week about lifting weights a few times and doing some ab exercises. Crunches are out of the question at this point, but I have been doing planks (SO MUCH HARDER!) and incorporate a lot of pilates-type core exercises which don’t require me to lay flat on my back.


Movement? Baby H. is moving as I type and I have begun to be able to feel it from the outside! David has felt our little one move on two separate occasions and it has been really awesome to experience the excitement and wonder that those nudges bring together.


Food cravings? Ice cream. Special K fruit and yogurt cereal. Lattes (I limit myself to one a day). Maybe I am craving dairy? I also drink mass amounts of ice water every day, but it is about 100 degrees outside so that could explain it.



Food aversions? Eggs, meat and yogurt are things that I still cannot stand but that I miss eating. They are such good sources of protein and were staples in my pre-pregnancy meals, and it is a bit difficult to adjust to the new tastes while still maintaining a healthy and balanced diet.



What I miss: My back has definitely started to give me some difficulties when I sit for long periods of time. I am very grateful that my full-time research job will be finished in about a week because by the end of the day my lower and middle back aches noticeably. As I said above I try to take breaks to walk around during the day and after work I try to be either on my feet or sitting with my feet propped up.



What I am looking forward to:  Tomorrow at 8 a.m. we will know the gender… CRAZY! I can’t express how excited I am! Tune back in tomorrow for the results :)


My baby bump has popped!


No comments:

Post a Comment