Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Detail #1: That little plus sign

David and I found out about the tiny baby growing in my belly on a Friday afternoon, April 15th. I know… tax day. To make a long and very TMI-ish story short, we had our suspicions for a few days and on Friday after class I walked down three flights of stairs from class and then up 7 flights to my office. I do this about every day, but that day when I got to the 7th floor I felt like I was going to die. I was hot, dizzy, nauseous and I knew right then and there that I was pregnant. I texted my husband and in between leaving school and driving up to Northern Kentucky for a weekend with family we stopped by Kroger to pick up a test.


A plus sign! A plus sign??? WHAT!?!?!


I was never, ever prepared to know that I was pregnant. I had always told myself that it would be fine no matter what, that the moment is a joyous one, and I really thought that all I would feel in the moment that I found out was happiness. Nope. This was the first of hundreds of things that I was wrong about. I started crying, and crying. My husband came and looked at the test and held me. I kept asking, “What are we going to do?” and he would answer, “We are going to have a baby.”


After David’s reassurances to my questions of, “How are we going to graduate?”, “How did this happen?” and “How in the world am I going to survive childbirth??” I finally calmed down. As I am sure is clear by these reactions, we were very shocked that I was pregnant. Believe it or not it was not our master plan to have a baby while both of us finished up intensive graduate programs. But sometimes it happens. And we very much both believe that it didn’t just happen, but that the Lord meant for it to be this way. He has a perfect plan and once I finally chilled out and we realized that He will provide for us and our baby we were so happy.


It was perfect because as I said we were already planning a trip to NKY to see all of our family. So I told my sister first, of course, and she screamed and cried and jumped up and down and hugged me. I love her. I told my mom the next morning in the car and she was so excited and was full of words of comfort and wisdom. The Saturday after we found out, April 16th, was my brother’s 9th birthday so after a day of burgers, laser tag and Wii we all sat down for some chocolate cupcakes and ice cream. I told Josh that we had one more birthday surprise for him and asked him how he felt about being an uncle at 9 years old. He looked curiously at me as my dad’s eyes got wide. My dad turned to my mom and asked, “What?” then to me, repeating the question. I told him the news and he just kept saying, “Well, isn’t that something.” After a few minutes he said his congratulations and then asked, “How old will you be when the baby is born?” We answered that we would be 24 and he shrugged and said, “I guess we had two by then.” Such a great memory!


We shared the news with David’s family and got more excited and emotion-filled hugs. Our families are SO wonderful and supportive. We are truly blessed. It was so hard for me to keep the news in for long. We told close friends after a couple weeks and then after a few more called grandparents and such. And now the news is out!


In some ways the day that I first saw that positive test seems years away and in other ways I still can’t believe that there is a tiny human resting in my womb right now as I type.

No comments:

Post a Comment