Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Weekend in Pittsburgh

This post has been a long time coming. With the craziness of school lately I have barely had time to sleep, let along write on the blog, but in this 20 minutes that I have between writing up a homework assignment and going to pick David up from work I wanted to share about my family’s weekend in Pittsburgh. As you may already know, (if not, click here) on my side of the family we are HUGE Steelers fans! They are the NFL (you know, football) team that has the most super bowl wins in history, i.e. the best team out there :) But that isn’t why we like them, it is because my dad grew up in Pittsburgh and has successfully brainwashed us. I wouldn’t call myself a sports fan in general, and a lot of people who know me find it very surprising that most Sundays I sport a Rothelisberger or Harrison jersey to sports bar or to my parent’s house where I can cheer on the Black and Gold. However, I love this tradition that my family has and I hope that we can convert David over to our side soon so that the tradition of loving a fantastic football team can continue to be passed down.


So, this past summer when Steeler tickets went on sale we all got on our cell phones and web browsers simultaneously to try to get some for the whole family (they go really, really fast). We ended up getting 6 tickets for the home opener at Heinz Field and so last weekend we packed up the car on Saturday morning and headed to Pittsburgh.


When we got there we stopped at this bar and grill place where they had “headwiches”, ie. sandwiches as big as your head. Of course my 145 lb. husband ordered one.



After that we walked around the bustling city taking it all in and then we decided to ride on an incline.



The hills are really steep in Pittsburgh so they have these cars on tracks that will take you to the top (or to the bottom). They are really old and packed with history… so cool!


Here we are on our way up.



The view from the top!



Photo opp for the fam :)




After snapping a few more pictures we took the incline back down and stopped at an adorable ice cream parlor for some dessert!



Then we went back to the hotel and slept really well until the next morning when we got up and got pumped for the game. We drove into town early and it was just so awesome to see everyone in their Steelers gear getting ready for the game. Seriously, everyone in Pittsburgh is a Steelers fan! We stopped by an outlet store and David agreed we could get something for baby girl.



Then off to the game!





I look so pregnant below! I was just glad my jersey still fit me.




All in all, it was a GREAT weekend! The Steelers won, big time, the day was beautiful, and it was wonderful to spend such quality time with my whole family.


We haven’t decided if next year we will be hauling a 9 month old baby to Pittsburgh to repeat this venture but it really is weekends like these with my side of the family that makes me realize how much I want our little family to someday have our own traditions.


Go Steelers!

No comments:

Post a Comment