Saturday, August 27, 2011

Week 24

I am 24 weeks pregnant!! Actually 24 weeks and 2 days since it is Saturday. That means I am 6 months along… and I only have 3 more weeks left in the second trimester. Time is just flying.




How far along? 24 weeks.



Total weight gain: 13 pounds. Since I am now regularly going to the gym again I will actually start knowing how much weight I gain from week to week rather than month to month which is good I guess :)



Updates on Baby: (Thanks to WhatToExpect) Your baby is about eight and a half inches long and weighs one and a half pounds, gaining steadily at a rate of six ounces per week. Much of that weight comes from accumulating baby fat, as well as from growing organs, bones, and muscle. Those little ears of hers are getting sharper and can hear very loud sounds, from a yapping dog to a jackhammer. Also by now, that fabulous face is almost fully formed, complete with eyelashes, eyebrows, and hair. Is your baby a brunette, a blonde, or a redhead? Actually, right now her locks are white since there’s no pigment yet.



Maternity Clothes: You betcha! In fact this week’s pictures are taken in some of my old  tank tops and I feel like I look so much bigger. Most days I wear maternity tops now and I think in a couple weeks I will be going back to the Gap Clearance Store to try to find a nice pair of black maternity capris that I can wear to teach in.




Symptoms/Body Changes: I definitely have some carpal tunnel syndrome popping up, which is normal, and my hair and nails are growing like crazy! This week I noticed that my appendages seemed to fall asleep really easily which I am sure is just caused by my changes in circulation. My skin and scalp have also been noticeably dry so I try to lotion up every day and shower in cooler water (aka normal-temperature water. My hubby has informed me that I like my showers to be scalding hot!). Another symptom which was really annoying this week was heartburn. Yuck. I have never had any heartburn issues in the past and it bothered me quite a bit in the evenings, but later the week I tried to eat milder things and I noticed that this helped. And I think that I will just put sleep details in here too… getting comfortable to fall asleep wasn’t difficult, but staying asleep was due to leg cramps and belly pains (when I try to stretch) in the middle of the night. My body just feels really tight everywhere… maybe I should try more yoga!



Exercise: You will be so proud of me! I have exercised every day this week and I feel so wonderful because of it. I think it has helped me to sleep better and it gives me so much more energy each day. Here is the run down:


Monday - Yoga, 2 mile walk to Starbucks with the pup and hubby.


Tuesday - 3 mile walk


Wednesday - 4 mile walk


Thursday - 3 mile walk, prenatal pilates (standing pilates, core workout, stretching). I found these great 10 minute videos on YouTube where the instructor is 36 weeks preggo. They are very professionally done and she is so encouraging and motivating!


Friday - 2 mile walk to the park with Rooney


Saturday - Elliptical for 20 minutes, then weights at the gym. I did biceps, triceps, shoulders, chest, upper back, squats, lunges and abs. I also stretched really well at the end!


Like I said I have felt wonderful as I push myself a little bit more. I am not working out as intensely as I did before I got pregnant, obviously, but I really hope to be able to build some strength back up which I lost when I was so sick.


One time this week I got too ambitious when I attempted to climb 8 flights of stairs to my office when I was already a little hungry. That was dumb and I won’t do it again… I was SO exhausted when I got the top!




Movement: She is still our crazy little mover in there! I can now feel her move even when I am standing up and sometimes it throws me a bit off guard. I love it every time. This Friday while I was meeting with my professor for my independent study she was seriously doing some kick-boxing in my belly. There were some really big kicks and they were so high! Most of the time I feel her rolling around lower in my belly, but my favorite is definitely when I can feel and see her move right around my belly button… so fun. Also, this may be off topic, but I read this week that my uterus is about the size of a soccer ball. A soccer ball! There is something that big in my stomach, and it is crazy to me.



Cravings: The unhealthy pregnancy cravings hit this week. I want dessert all the time. Ice cream, brownies, muffins, doughnuts; you name it. I have been pretty good about not indulging too much. We got some ice cream at the store and most nights I will allow myself a small scoop (we got some cute little bowls just for this purpose). This way the craving is satisfied but the portion is controlled, and I am convinced that ice cream helps heartburn :)  On the first day of school David and I ate lunch together and we both got these amazing chocolate muffins from the cafeteria… YUM! But I kinda felt guilty about that one.



Aversions: Nothing really stood out this week. I am back eating cheese yogurt and eggs normally now… Yay! Meat is also getting a lot easier to stomach, and my sense of smell seems to have decreased a bit which is nice. For a while there I had to leave our apartment any time our cat used the litter box.



What I miss: Fitting in to the normal college crowd. I definitely stand out on UK’s campus with my baby belly; at the gym, in my department, in my classes and as a teacher. I am not super self conscious about it but I definitely notice looks from others. I just want to say, “Yes, I am pregnant. And in school. And teaching. Deal with it.” Everyone who I have talked to is so wonderful, encouraging, excited and sweet. It is mostly just the sideways glances from strangers that I notice and I am not used to standing out in any way I guess.



What I am looking forward to: My first baby shower is a week from today!!! I am pumped about it. Have a told you that I am having 7? Yes, I said 7. Two on David’s side, two on my family’s side, 1 for lexington friends, 1 for NKY dance friends, and 1 for math friends. David and I are pretty much the most blessed and loved people and we are so grateful! Anyway, I have one on September 3rd and another on September 11th and I am very much looking forward to them. I know that we will be showered with gifts, support, and encouraging words from all around and I am sure that these showers and the things that come along with them will make the fact that we are having a baby so much more real.



Ok, now I have to go do math homework. Which is ok. We have had a great weekend already with our date at the Arboretum last night, and tonight we are planning on going to our neighborhood block party which should be fun. Oh yea, and tomorrow we are going to the KY state fair and the Maroon 5 and Train concert!!!!! I am sure I will post on that early next week.



Happy weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment